Plymouth is just a single point away from clinching a spot in the 2014 OHL Playoffs and could be in with as little as a overtime/shootout loss tonight in Niagara. If the Whalers cannot get it done tonight against the Ice Dogs, Kitchener might be able to help them out if the Rangers were to lose a game on Friday or Saturday.
Barring any abnormal circumstances, the Whalers are playoff bound. The biggest questions is who will the Whalers face in the first round. In order of probability:
- Guelph Storm (80%)
- Guelph leads the Western Conference and the OHL with 101 points.
- Erie Otters (25%)
- Erie is five points behind the Storm and still have five games to gain the edge on Guelph, but might take the third/fourth seed in playoffs.
- London Knights (15%)
- It’s still possible for the Knights to move up into first place, but they are three points behind Erie and eight points behind Guelph with six games remaining
- Sault Ste. Marie (5%)
- The Soo are the top of the West division, and need a two more points to clinch the division title. In order for the Whalers to take on Greyhounds the Whalers would have to move up to the 7th seed. Owen Sound will clinch the 7th seed if they get 4 more points.
- Windsor Spitfires (0.01%)
- You might think I’m crazy including the Spits, but if the Whalers can move up to 7th and the Spits win out, and the Greyhounds lose the rest of their games, Windsor could move to the top of the West Division. That being said, I don’t think that it is going to happen.